Monday, November 06, 2006
Quotidian
Quotidian actually means recurring daily. It also means commonplace or trivial. You all excelled yourselves with your made up meanings for this word. I enjoyed reading them. The voting was even between Molly Malone and Cynthia Bostwick. So, well done to you both! I agree with the voters' analysis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
Word Imp, I have a problem, I keep thinking up meanings that need words.
Quotidian, I knew the word but not the meaning, but it doesn't fit any of the meanings I've been thinking up.
It is the word used to describe music made in the style of Status Quo, as in.....
The latest album from Art Garfunkle has distinct quotidian influences, quite a departure from his usual style.
Madame C
My suggestion: write down the meanings you think up. You'll have a wonderful source of meanings to match with words on days when your brain goes arrrgghhhh! (probably after Mr C has had one of his umbrageous moments)
A quotidian is a person who is preoccupied with everyone getting their fair share. Usage: 'My youngest is such a quotidian. I caught her using a tape measure to share out the cake.'
An obsessive compulsive quoter - the sort which buys the book "1000 best quotes for all occassions " and bores others to death with his quotes in most comminplace situations .You cannot correct him because he is confident he is always correct .
Mr Roy is such a quotidian - he can barely get out an original word -his sentences are always peppered with more than their fair share of quotes .
I must say I enjoy this game , Sharon !Its becoming quite an obsession - and thanks for choosing my meaning earlier - I was thrilled !
Quotidian is someone who is always quoting proverbs like, "the early bird gets the worm!" and "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise!" No one can stand a quotidian.
A quotidian is a person who indulges in small talk. "Fred, being a quotidian could always be relied upon to keep the conversation going at parties"
PS Am I addicted? I have come home in my lunch break just so that I can concentrate on today's word without children around to distract me! :-))
Quotidian is just another word for the copycat.
My youngest, ever the quotidian, always looks up to her sister and wants to do everything she does. Of course, my oldest doesn't see it as flattering, but aggravating. Oh, the growing pains!! :)
A quotidian is a person who thinks they are smarter than they really are.
i knew the meaning of quotidian but its totally escaped me. Must be a rare jewel, given by the Wordsmith Queen to the best quoter at the Court.
Tiresomely boring minutiae. Priscilla insisted on relaying every quotidian detail of the conference, including what font the nametags were printed in.
Quotidian is the name for the only lit window in a darkened office block.
[Actually do know the meaning of this word, trying to steer as way away from it as possible!]
Hi
Thanks for all the positive feedback about how much you enjoy this blog. I really enjoy doing the blog and reading your definitions. I look forward to the definitions of "regulars", miss them when they don't visit, love visits from new people and feel glad to know you all, even in this small way. Thanks.
A quotidian is actually a character from the Star Trek television series. Quotidian's come from the planet of Quotidia and they are remarkable for the fact that they have four mouths that spout Shakespearian quotes simultaneously for 24 hours a day. While this is amusing for the first 5 or 10 minutes, it becomes decidedly tedious after a couple of hours, especially when they get to the end of all the quotes and have to start all over again.
You know that old joke about men being like parking spaces? All the good ones are gone and the only ones left are disabled. (No offence to any Word Imperfect guys out there). Well, that is similar to being a quotidian. You leave it too late and by the time you get to check out the word of the day all the good definitions are gone and you are left floundering, trying to wrack your brain for a spark of imagination. So a quotidian is someone like me who just can't come up with even a decent crack at a definition.
Quotidian - Roman general who won the Governorship of Gaul the night before the Visogoths arrived and overthrew him and the entire empire. It was nice to be Governor for a day, though. He had mead with his inaugural feast. He was also known as Sid the Loquacious.
The quotidian is always quoting but never getting it right: the George W. Bush of Bartlett's. He says things like "A bird in the hand is better than a cat," or "If the shoe fits, share it."
Honestly, I think Molly's the winner here, so far. But the Quotidian might say "Cockles and mussels, arrive alive oh!"
Post a Comment