Thursday, November 08, 2007

Kraken

Kraken is a mythical sea monster whose mythical home was off the coast of Norway. I haven't heard of him before, but I'll check him out in a Norwegian fairy tale book some time. I'm assuming he's male, of course. Maybe not. The voters loved the meaning suggested by Scriptor Senex today. Great work, SS. Keep it up.

7 comments:

Brian o vretanos said...

Kraken is a German drink made by fermenting cabbage - a sort of "SweetKraut". The story commonly known by British soldiers who have served in Germany that Kraken is named for the way your head feels the next morning is not accepted by German etymologists.

Pastor Phil said...

kraken - 1) a mental disorder in hollywood film directors marked by a state of confusion and wild self-justification, 2) the species of mythical monster found in Beowulf's bane - Grendel's mother, 3) what will happen to Beowulf fans' minds when they watch Angelina Jolie playing Grendel's mother.

Unknown said...

I know the real answer to this having been one in a dance piece once.

Anyway an imaginary meaning for kraken hmmmm..........

Kraken is the word used to describe the effect in photographs where small blemishes appear magnified. for example,

Gemma was alarmed at the kraken of her face in the wedding photos. She vowed to book a botox appointment at the first available opportunity.

The word has gone out of everyday use with the advent of airburshing.

Anonymous said...

Kraken is the action of getting things done quickly.
"We must have the job done by kracken."

Thinks! said...

Kraken is dead bracken. So named because it crackles when you walk on it. Hence old country song, 'We'll be kraken the bracken when we've downed a good flagon. Arrr, fol de ree dee ooh!'

Scriptor Senex said...

I see that the encourager has heard the phrase but I'm afraid they have slightly misunderstood the context. "We must have the job done by kraken" actually means that the job must be done before dawn. Kraken is another term for the break of day.

Irene Grumman said...

"Get kracken, you lazy bums!" he shouted as he kracked his whip.