Thursday, August 16, 2007
Concettism
Concettism is a flash way of describing the use of fanciful turns of phrase in literature. Not that we ever do that on this blog, of course! The word comes from the Italian language, in case you hadn't noticed. But it featured in my English dictionary so that's good enough for me. The invented meanings were great, with Brian O Vretanos running away with a healthy win on the poll. Great work, Brian.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
There is an inconspicuous European Warbler called Cetti's Warbler Cettia cetti. Concettism is an aspect of evolutionary convergence in which species that occupy similar ecological niches adapt to become similar to this bird.
Concettism is a rare form of compulsive behaviour where the afflicted cannot stop making jewellery from pasta shapes.
This needent be a life-limitting condition if correctly channelled. Many of the newer pasta shapes you find on your supermarket shelf were invented by Annalee Jones, a lady who turned her concettism to benefit pasta lovers the world over.
Concettism is a strange obsession with ears (as in shell-like). Concettists are liable to lick, fondle or whisper into random peoples' ears at any opportunity. This can lead to the perpetrators getting sore throats and becoming hoarse whisperers.
Concettism is a style of modern art only understood by the artist.
It comes in three parts (or movements)with the first piece of 'art' a lively piece, the second a placid piece and the third a rousing finale.
Thinks! Ahh..so that's what my partner is? A concettisist!
However, I believe concettism to be the frequent, sly glancing into mirrors, shop windows or any other reflective surface by adolescent boys seeking reassurance that they are indeed too cool for school.
A concettism is a witticism of the sort usually associated with American actress Concetta Tomei.
Concettism:
A conceited concert pianist.
I think they have every right to be conceited!
Thanks for the votes on “Rivage”, party at my house! :o)
Concettism is a a religious order that follows the teachings of Armister Concett
Concett was a 19th century separatist who believed that God was soverign and prayer was unncessary.
You are afflicted with concettism if you hear the distant sound of the ocean wherever you go.
Concettism-Compulsive sexual or romantic teasing by Italian women- known as "concettas". We are more familiar with their French counterpart-the coquette.
The flirtatious Italian male is called a "concett" (among other things.)
I wonder if Armister's religious order would help these people? Just a thought.
Concettism is a branch of confectionary making, which involves making confectionary to be worn or applied to the body.
It all started in Italy when someone asked a chocolatier to make chocolate "confetti" for a wedding. The bride and bridegroom spent a happy night licking chocolate off each other, told all their friends, and the chocolatier made his fortune as the first concettist.
Concettism is the tendency of some types of sea shells to form conch-like spirals.
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
Conchettism (n.) is an affliction experienced by those who feel the need, upon hearing a piece of classical music, to pretend that it is they who are conducting the orchestra. This is despite the fact they have no idea what they're doing and everyone else in the vicintity thinks they're just looking at a very strange person who's waving their arms around madly and bobbing their head up and down for no apparent reason.
I'm picturing a flirtatiously naked musical exhibitionist coated with chocolate right now.
It's probably a good thing I can only do Word Imp three days out of the week. I clearly need the rest.
judi:
That was an extremely talented way to include all the definitions! :o)
well... almost all
I've been out all day and someone has already gone the pasta route (my first idea), so I had to think again.
Concettism: the practice of eating too many shellfish.
Sorry Stephen, just seen that you have gone the conch route. I give up.
Unfortunately I'm also drawing a blank.
Also I'm away for an extended weekend, so I may not be able to post or vote unless some kind souls let me use their computers. If not, I'll be back on Wednesday (hopefully with more creativity in store than today!)
Happy wording.
Post a Comment