Thursday, August 30, 2007

Eldritch

Eldritch, oddly enough, is an adjective meaning weird and hideous. It's derivation is Scottish, if that helps. So, very eldritch - as were some of today's meanings. Thanks for that, I think. The poll winner was Thesaurus Rex. Well done, and well named.

20 comments:

Karishma Hasnat said...

An eldritch is a medicine used by witches to cure them of scabies and other skin irritations. The spell is a secret known only to the witching fraternity.

lorenzothellama said...

Eldrirch are very spicy, Middle Eastern meat balls, a speciality of the Nomadic Wahadic tribe. They are a great delicacy and are only eaten at weddings. They take three to four weeks to mature and are carefully and lovingly baked on a fire of camel dung.

They are usually eaten with chips, mushy peas and gravy.

silver_flight said...

It's the condition of wishing to be older, so often displayed by teenagers. There is some confusion over what the desired age actually is, but once it is reached the condition sometimes reverses itself too far and the sufferer is then afflicted with 'youngritch'.

Brian o vretanos said...

Eldritch (or "El Dritch") is a species of taco worm which can end up inhabiting the human brain. Usually it doesn't cause too many ill effects, but it will lay eggs which hatch into hundreds more, causing a large lump on the top of the head. This was once very common in Mexico, which explains the shape of the Mexican sombrero.

Anonymous said...

An 'Eldritch' is a member of the church community who is both elderly and rich. Such an individual is highly prized by his/her Priest.

An Eldritch is considered 'bated' if they have promised a decent legecy to the church. If the legacy is targeted at the individual Priest, the Eldritch is 'bated'and 'bagged'.

However, an Eldritch is only considered bated, bagged and tagged,(B.B.T.) if the Priest has managed to get sole power of attorney over his/her entire estate.

Having a B.B.T Eldritch is a huge status symbol for a Priest amongst his peers.

Anonymous said...

An eldritch is an l-shaped dike used in numerous Dutch-speaking countries outside of The Netherlands.

I actually encountered the word "swimmeret" in a book this morning. The topic was lobsters and how to cook and eat them.

Anonymous said...

An old person with lots of money

Suzanne G. said...

Eldrich: (n) Extinct ancestor of modern day Ostrich. Partial skeleton discorvered in Australia in 1994.

Anonymous said...

That prickly, itchy feeling that women 'of a certain age' suffer-usually on their birthday- as they survey the encroaching signs of age. It's accompanied by mental calculations as to how much longer their looks, stamina, and knees will hold up.
Positive self-talk helps to calm the worst of the eldrich (wrinkles-minimal, hair color still covering up, you're lucky to be tall, stay away from the cinnamon rolls at MacDonalds, etc.)

Note: Just because it was my birthday yesterday doesn't mean I've ever had an eldrich episode.

Anonymous said...

Too many good meanings today.... and grossed out now about the existence of taco worms!Have to switch to burritos at Taco Bell.

Brian o vretanos said...

Judi: Belated contrafibularities ;-)

Bee said...

I have nothing for today but thanks to Brian, I now know why my head is shaped the way it is... too many tacos!

Thinks! said...

Eldritch - one of the Hobbits who was locally renowned for making elderberry wine down in the valley of Hirondell. Gollum enjoyed elderberry wine (he was named after the sound he made drinking from the bottle gollum, gollum and called it his precious....

Anonymous said...

Eldritches are britches that instead of being fastened below the knee, are fastened below the foot, and thus are shaped like an L. They are generally worn in colder climates where exposed skin can lead to hypothermia or frostbite.

Anonymous said...

Brian:
Thank you. Contrafibularities are always welcome.

Thesaurus Rex said...

Eldritch is a long trench or ha-ha designed to stop the more adventurous residents of old peoples homes from escaping too far.
"..and I've shown the guards a clean pair of heels if not for the ruddy eldritch."

Anonymous said...

clumps of hair stuck in a hair brush.

"I hate using brushes that have too much eldritch built up"

Shari said...

Lots of good meanings today.

Hey Brian, you sure that the taco worms weren't really from the Tequila? People in Mexico probably drank Tequilas while eating tacos.

I gotta go inspect my head for bumps. I ate Mexican food last night...

Word Imp-I am going to try to visit when I can. Back in classes again. :)

Brian o vretanos said...

What have I done? I've no wish to put Mexican restaurants out of business ;-) I did say it was in the past.

I believe if you drink enough tequilla it feels like you've got a hundred worms in your head ;-)

Sara said...

But then if you drink just a little more....

Eldritch is a particular variety of lichen found only on elder trees. Instead of the more usual colour of yellow or green, eldritch has a blueish hue and appears luminous by moonlight. Navigation by eldritch was one of the ways in which ancient woodsmen (having drunk too much of the local equivalent of tequila)would find their way home after dark.