Tuesday, July 17, 2007
Teknonymy
Teknonymy is the practice of renaming a parent after a child. I'm indebted to silver_flight for the following information found on wikipedia about teknonymy in Korea: Teknonymy, or referring to parents by their children's names, is a common practice. It is most commonly used in referring to a mother by the name of her eldest son, as in "Cheol-su's mom". However, they can also be extended to either parent and any child, depending upon the context. It looks as though this technique is used in order to help avoid the use of the person's actual given name, which in Korean society is apparently a taboo. Now, we're all just that bit wiser. In terms of invented meanings, the race to the winning post was very tight. In fact, there was a dead heat for first. Pastor Phil and Thinks! share the honours today. Well done, you two!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
One of the most fierce dinosaurs ever to walk the face of the earth. Beware of Teknonymy fossils, they have been know to come to life on occasion!
Teknonymy: the act of naming natural disasters after people.
Johnny was confused. The insurance company called it an act of God, but the weather man called it Mabel. Clearly he did not understand the use of teknonymy to designate hurricanes. Now Johnny has an altar to Mabel in his bedroom closet
It's the name for efforts by scientists to keep the lay community from working out what they're saying, by inserting obscure words or references into scientific papers at crucial points.
Teknonymy is the loss of memory for names of things and people that results from imbibing too much of the drug tek. (For more information about tek, please consult William Shatner's book Tek Wars.)
1. Yes, you may vote for yourself.
I must confess that when I am nominated, I always vote for myself. I rationalize that if I had not thought my made up definition was the best one, I would have submitted something else. (I'm sure there is a flaw in my thinking somewhere, but it works for me. So there!)
Teknonymy.
This is the anonomous insersion in a technical magazine or pulication. It is possible to come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful theories regarding spark plugs, creation, high-tech running shoes etc.
Teknonymy is the act of giving oneself a name in cyberspace (one's teknonym).
Teknomology is the science behind diagnosing one's psychiatric state from teknonyms, e.g. what leads someone to name themselves after a duck, or a llama...
Teknonymy - (n.) teknonymy is the queasy feeling often described as [barfing], [bloating], [throwing up], etc.
*This word would definitely describe the sight of spinach for me.
Teknonymy (n.) is the study of a given language in order to dictate where the letters go on a computer keyboard, etc.
This is why you'll find slight, but highly confusing, differences should you ever use a computer in a country whose first language is not the same as your own.
The Teknonymy are a little known tribe in Central Africa who have somehow acquired all the modern day gadgets of the western world but haven't a clue what they're for.
They keep these possessions in a large skip beneath a statue of Bill Gates and worship gods such as: No Kia, Moto Rola and Dell etc.
No definition for me today but I agree with Word Imp.
I use as an example my co-worker, she sat staring at her black computer screen this morning thinking something had gone wrong with it, blaming everyone who used it in her absence. The problem: She hadn’t turned it on. She suffers from Teknonymy.
duckman, you are too funny! :o)
I have a question though, do you also 'stuff the ballot box'? If so please tell me how... Just kidding ;o)
teknonymy is a term for sneakily inserting second or third definitions for the same word on wordimperfect.blogspot.com under a different name. the glory for winning under a teknonym is hardly comparable to using your real nickname because a nickname for a nickname is kind of a cancellation in terms. especially if you can't come up with anything more clever than anonymous.
not that i've ever done it.
Yeah, I never do that either...
duckman, you are too funny! :o)
I have a question though, do you also 'stuff the ballot box'? If so please tell me how... Just kidding ;o)
bee
I'm still working on the technology for that. I will share my new invention once it is perfected with those who will pay the nominal fee I will charge. (I must keep the ducklings fed.)
I think the madfishicist has already given us the tek-nology for stuffing the ballot box in this set of posts.
Teknonymy is how people implement technology to serve their own needs. For instance; using cyberspace technology to create a blog for their enjoyment, profit, soap box, diary, etc.
Teknonymy is the use of technology for evil purposes. The technology itself may or may not be evil. In the Star Wars movies, for example, light sabers can be wielded by both the forces of good and the forces of darkness.
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
It's a good thing I checked to see if nobody else had the same idea as I did for this word, because it turned out brian o vretanos did. So here's my new definition-
Teknonymy (n)- the science of finding the weirdest names for new cars, medicines, and lines of phones or computers.
i.e. No matter how hard Karen tried, she could not remember the name of the car her husband wanted. This was because the people in the company's teknonymy department had named the car "Karvadbuxeciwayo."
A teknonymist is the kind of worker whose favoured brand of passive aggression is to follow their gaily muttered criticisms of colleagues with an equally sprightly "But take no notice of me! I'm just prattling on! Put a sheet over my cage and continue with your day!" etc.
(Phonetic etymology: 'take-none-of-me')
(cool photo Pastor Phil...)
Post a Comment