Thursday, July 12, 2007

Muniment

A muniment is an archival document kept as a record of proof in relation to rights and privileges. Something old and dusty by the sound of it. Great meanings on the blog, with the winning meaning suggested by Ingrid. Well done, Ingrid.

40 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

A muniment (pronounced mewneementay) is a small, hairy, fibrous berry that attaches itself to the fur of animals in order to disperse.

They are quite tasty and soon will become one of Gillian McKeith's 'superfoods' on account of the proportion of fibre in relation to it's size. It is also a very good source of Vitamin Q, the vitamin responsible for making toe nails grow.

Brian o vretanos said...

Muniment (n) - Something done or given freely as compensation for an act that the giver feels guilty about.

Simon bought all of John's drinks for a month as muniment for getting cigarette burns on John's signed 1966 England shirt.

Maalie said...

A muniment is a sort of armoury used to store ammunition for training purposes. Perhaps the most well-known is that at Fort Benning (Columbus Ga), home to one of the largest basic infantry training facilities in America.

Stephen said...

A muniment is when a person forgets what he or she had been talking about, and unable to regain the memory, finally begins talking again about some other, often unrelated, subject. Muniment takes its name from Mrs. Muni, a teacher who sometimes became lost in thought during her lectures, and when she again came to realize where she was she usually could not remember what it was she had been talking about. She always plunged ahead gamely, though, often sending the lecture into new and unexpected directions. Her students invented the term "Mrs. Muni moment" for this, eventually shortening it to "muniment". In time, muniment came to be applied to any similar moment of confusion suffered by anyone.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/

Pastor Phil said...

Muniment (from Latin munimentum - to move together with purpose): A muniment is a spontaneous gathering of related or similar participants - typically seen among ants, lemmings, and political action groups.

John was initially excited to see all his PETA friends had come in costume for the muniment in protest against the use recombinant bovine growth hormone. He soon discovered he had taken a wrong turn when Farmer Jones arrived with the stool and the milking pail.

Yes, a book would be quite fun, and I think buyable.

Unknown said...

A muniment (n.) is a moment of much merriment caused by inheriting or winning a significant sum of money and/or valuable assests.

Example: She squealed in muniment when it was revealed that great Aunt Jemima had not only bequeathed her her entire fortune but the also the estate at High Tootings.

Merriam said...

A muniment is one of the noises that people use on television to beep out words.

Anonymous said...

A muniment is a monument built in honor of a munitions magnate.

Keith said...

A muniment (slang combination of the words munitions and mentor) is a master of weapons who takes on apprentices in order to teach them the techniques for using various munitions as well as the finer points of style, such as gun ballet and knowing how to never have to reload like in poor action movies.

Haha nice blog :-) Care to check out mine?

I am "The Man": Musings of a White American Male (WAM!)

pami sami said...

Muniment; A very short moment in time.
" If you would just hold on. I'll be there in a muniment"

bea n. random said...

Muniment - A teeny tiny Monument which is built outside of hen houses to honor all those brave chickens that gave their lives in the Battle of the Great Picnic of 1949.

bea n. random said...

Hi Word Imp! I think the book sounds like a fabulous idea. Yes, bloggers DO read books (even blog about them, too) so I'm sure they'd buy your wonderful book. If you're able to perhaps put the blog link to some of the contributors of the definitions, that would help raise traffic to their own blogs as well as yours, I believe. That is, of course, if they would want their blog links published. As a person who likes to read other people's blogs, myself, I like to be able to find someone's blog who has said something I find charming or hilarious because I figure, "There must be more where THAT came from!"
Either way, I think it's a great idea and can't wait to see it come to fruition! Best of luck to you!!

Anonymous said...

A Muniment is a new brand of mint shaped like bullets.

Wait . . that would be a MuniMint(TM) . . .

Boricua in Texas said...

Muniment: a statue built entirely out of shell casings.

Sonnjea said...

A muniment is a signature characteristic of a city or any municipality. San Francisco's muniment is the Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney's muniment is the Opera House, and Los Angeles' muniment is the traffic.

Shari said...

A muniment is when you just return home from a vacation. Now you are back home doing the mundane, everyday things.

She took out the dirty laundry from the suitcase and sighed to herself, "My vacation's over and the muniment begins again."

Anonymous said...

Muniment:
pronounced MUniMENTe
A muniment is a moment of when you suddenly lose consciousness in a monument or suddenly faint, headache, any type of ache or collapsing. Usually you will feel a queer pain in the intestine area after you recover, and it will usually wear away in about 16 hours. Worst symptoms include heartburn or weakness in the body.

Bee said...

Muniment:

to have an unpleasant experience, opposite of merriment

We sat in silence and endured our muniment as we watched the 'Village People' perform their famous 'YMCA' song.

Wunx~ said...

Munitment is the celebration and merriment which accompanies the shooting off of fireworks (munitions.)

Wunx~ said...

P.S. I'll bet everyone who's ever contributed a daffynition to your blog would buy the book to see if they made the cut. I would.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Sharon, what might the blogger book be called?

Anonymous said...

An ointment first reported on by missionaries to French Guiana in the mid-1940's, it was concocted by prisoners of the French penal settlements and is known as the "Forbidden Salve".
The exact ingredients have only been partially revealed and include various medicinal plant oils, root saps, and most pertinently, gun powder.

There was a brisk but clandestine trade in the key ingredient and many a poor sod suffered in solitary after being caught trading with the locals for gun powder. Though known for its tremendous drawing properties, being most popular for use on boils, it is also highly corrosive and should never be used on or near chromed metal.
Fallen out of favor in all but the most rural areas it is still popular around Bastille Day when a can of the stuff, lighted off, makes a tremedous explosion. The international anti-muniment organization, Muni-No, has campaigned the French for years to have it banned, but to no avail.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, Word Imp, a book sounds great. About 13 members of my family from 10 yrs. to 63, are regular contributors (and winners) on this blog and I've already printed off pages for us to read and chortle over at our next family gathering. Knowing more about the people writing in would be very interesting also.

Anonymous said...

A muniment is an abbriviated form of letters used to ditinguish the stuttering sounds of a crest like bird that makes it's habitation in the lofts of abandoned highrise apartments.

alex beech said...

muniment (n) a monument that a totalitarian dictator commissions of his likeness to remind the people of his munificence.

Most muniments are destroyed after despotic rulers are deposed.

alex beech said...

Hi Sharon,

I think it's a cute idea, though honestly it would be a book I'd browse through at the bookstore - rather than buying it. I think you should cater it to a younger demographic, say pre-teens or teenagers, with a game built around it, so that it can also be an educational tool. For instance, you could provide the real definition, including its etymology, and then show different ways of inventing a new meaning for a word. (ie, morphology, etc.)

The incentive to broaden its marketability is its potential of expanding a reader's vocabulary. Also, illustrations would be really great. I mean, don't we all want to see a device which a dentist uses to clean a vampire's teeth or a rottweiler/gopher hybrid?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, You do a great job with the blog. The book, however, is not one I would bother to buy. The question is: why would I?

I think this book idea is silly. Why waste the money buying it -- and the time reading it.?

Anonymous said...

quite frankly, i'd sue you for my share of the profits.

Anonymous said...

Your addition about the rights that you have to the comments was added later, rather than sooner in your blog. I find that legally sleazy.

Word Imp said...

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply about my book idea. I appreciate your feedback, both positive and negative. I've also received some private feedback on my personal email address and that's been very helpful too. In reply to anonymous above, I appreciate your comments too. The "rights" comment you mention on the blog about copyright was added less than a month after I started the blog. I started it on Oct 13 last year and it was added in early November after advice received from a copyright specialist. However, I realise that some people would feel offended by me using their meanings in the book without more specific permission. Perhaps you could let me know your blogging name and I could make sure I didn't include any of your meanings in the book if I go ahead. That applies to anyone else who feels the same way. Anyway, thanks again. I'll keep working through the possibilities and appreciate further comments.

alex beech said...

Hi Sharon,

I'd feel honored if any of my definitions were included in your book. Posting on your site is one of the fun parts of my days, and I think your book idea is definitely worth pursuing and exploring.

To the brave "anonymous" soul who has threatened to sue you for a share of "the profits" - get a job. This is a family site, managed really well by a children's author. What a pathetic thing to write.

Anonymous said...

muniment (n)- a sudden revelation

i.e, Mitch was sitting and feeling like he should be elsewhere when he had the muniment that he should be at his best friend's wedding, and was 20 minutes late already.

About the book: I think it sounds like a great idea. It would probably be pretty funny, too. I would definitely buy such a book.

Anonymous said...

A muniment is an exchange of words over municipal issues.

Ex.
The town meeting had to be cancelled due to various muniments that were threatening to get ugly.

(I'm going away for a couple weeks, and won't likely be able to play until I get back. I don't want to embarrass myself, but I'm really quite sad. Have fun without me though. Sigh.)

Pastor Phil said...

Jeepers I'll buy two! One I'll send to Mr./Ms. Anonymous above. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sharon - forge ahead with the book idea. What's nice (and what comes over well from this blog) is that, as Alex suggested, this is a family game, in which the range of responding voices comes over agreeably.
It would also be intriguing to see how/whether you and the book's editor(s) would balance the outright *amusing* definitions with some just plain ingenious/thoughtful ones. That would be a stimulating, and fun, process for you guys, and I'd like to see the results!
Good on you, and on everyone who contributes.

alex beech said...

Hi Aviva,

I was away at the beach last weekend, without a computer or Internet, and you should've seen me trying to log on with my little handheld device. And then hearing me tell my friends how sad I was couldn't play my definitions game.

Have a nice vacation.

Pastor Phil - I love the word Jeepers. It should get an honorable mention one day.

bea n. random said...

I love the word Jeepers, too! My little brother once had a guinea pig named Mr. Jeepers and I thought that was so adorable!

Thinks! said...

Muniment - It's what you mumble when you want speak but can't because your mouth's full of bread roll etc.

"Mmm mmm muniment!" He bumbled holding up his index finger. But no-one listened. He always had his mouth full.

auntibeck said...

Jeepers creepers! Where'd you get those peepers? Where'd you get them eyes!?!" Words to an old song.

What fun exchange these last couple of days.

First, WordImp, Judi's definition for Muniment deserves honorable mention--it's hilarious. :)

Second, I think a booklet of fun meanings and words about the WordImp and her amazing invented game is cute. I often pick up small books at bookstores as gifts to drop in a gift package for friends and family--It has the potential to catch on, I think. My family has played the "dictionary game" for years, then Balderdash came out and it was the game company's version of the Dictionary game. Either way, we like to go back to the old fashioned way, a dictionary in hand and scratch paper and kids from 9 to 90 playing along. And that's why this e-version is so fun. It's quick, and it lightens your do. So too would a clever book put together that would prompt others to get into a mind-stretching game, rather than ninendo or those other games that give you tendenitis in your thumbs! Do it--I'd buy it. And OBVIOUSLY one has to be careful about the copywrite laws and you of all people are up on that--the rest of us newbies haven't a clue. Have a great day--it's a beautiful sunny southern California day over on this side of the world!

Anonymous said...

i would buy your book too!! this game is so fun. I have been so busy lately and missing playing. I would be totally honored if any of my definitions made it in your book. you can use mine.