Have fun with a new word each day. I'll choose a word. You make up a meaning.
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Struthious
Struthious means like an ostrich. I will enjoy using that word in context and surprising my friends with the depth of my vocabulary. I enjoyed the blog meanings very much, and am pleased to announce Aviva as the winner on the poll. Well done and welcome back, Aviva.
Struthious - rather obviously refers to one who exclaims, "struth!" at every opportunity. Other examples are Crikeious, Blimeious, Jeepersious, Gee Willikerious and Bloomin' Eckerious.
Struthious was a Roman soldier who came to Britain with Julius Caesar in 55BC and so fell in love with the climate, he decided to go AWOL and he established a small village in Essex which is now called Margaretting, which was his wife's name.
He felt the climate was ideal for growing nettles and dandelions, and he opened the first health food shop in 51BC.
struthious - having the characteristic of jutting one's head forward with each step while walking. Struthian species include ducks, pidgeons, cocks, and Mick Jagger.
Struthious behavior has been noted to spontaneously occur among young male homosapiens when the female of species looks their way.
I am feeling rather struthious myself lately and subsequently, overwhelmed with life. Glad I took a break, found your site and am able to add a shiny new word to my vocabulary. :)
Struthious (adjective): pronounced strue-thee-ous, it's a word that describes people who can't help but scatter their belongings in every direction. Also used to describe tornadoes and other forces of nature.
Ex. When Gina found her daughter's backpack in the garden, her jacket in the bathroom, and her schoolbooks strewn under and on the dining room table, she shook her head and thought: she's struthious all right, just like her dad!
I have to compliment Pastor Phil on being along the correct lines. However, his creatures are far too small. Struthious means "pertaining to an ostrich". As we all know, ostriches have the habit of burying their heads in the sand at the onset of danger. So this is the everyday meaning of the struthious - ignoring problems, hoping hoping that they will go away.
Goodness, I am gone for a few days and miss out on all the fun.
Struthious is an adjective, it describes college kids who like to "strut their stuff" while in the library, grabbing books with impressive titles and walking around, looking all intellectual in order to impress potential dates.
Raelha, what could possibly added to your fine definition other than the historical note that the term came about as a contraction of the old saying, "God's Truth."
Streuth! 'Thinks' nicked my definition, so now I'll have to come up with another.
A struthious person is one who seems compelled to tell the truth to their own detriment.
'Upon arresting the driver for speeding, PC Saddleback was astonished by her crass struthiousness, when unprompted, the woman cheerfully pointed out that she also had two bald tyres and a broken headlight.'
I am not sure if i understand what is going on...new to this forum..i found the dictionary meaning of this word as "something related to ostrich" and found a sentence ""The law is not so struthious as to compel a judge … to divorce himself or herself from common sense or to ignore what is perfectly obvious." " which I could barely understand w.r.t the meaning given..can someone help!!
1. I choose an obscure dictionary word.
2. You invent a wacky meaning and add it as a comment.
3. After a certain time I list the true meaning and choose a winner for the invented meaning.
There are no prizes, just lots of fun!
Remember, children use this site too.
I am a children's author who has had a handful of books published by trade publishers. They're in book shops and libraries. I've also had a sackful of books published by educational publishers. These are mainly found in schools. I love words and that's why I invented this blog site.
16 comments:
Struthious - rather obviously refers to one who exclaims, "struth!" at every opportunity. Other examples are Crikeious, Blimeious, Jeepersious, Gee Willikerious and Bloomin' Eckerious.
What a wonderful sounding word!
Struthious is used to describe a sludgy liquid with occasional large deposists.
"The wicked wizened witch cackled constantly as she stirred her struthious soup."
Struthious was a Roman soldier who came to Britain with Julius Caesar in 55BC and so fell in love with the climate, he decided to go AWOL and he established a small village in Essex which is now called Margaretting, which was his wife's name.
He felt the climate was ideal for growing nettles and dandelions, and he opened the first health food shop in 51BC.
Struthious (adj.) describes someone or something that fabricates stories and then tries to pass them of as the truth.
Tabloid papers are an obvious example of struthious entities, as are famous people appearing in court or talking to Hello! magazine
struthious - having the characteristic of jutting one's head forward with each step while walking. Struthian species include ducks, pidgeons, cocks, and Mick Jagger.
Struthious behavior has been noted to spontaneously occur among young male homosapiens when the female of species looks their way.
I am feeling rather struthious myself lately and subsequently, overwhelmed with life. Glad I took a break, found your site and am able to add a shiny new word to my vocabulary. :)
Struthious (adjective): pronounced strue-thee-ous, it's a word that describes people who can't help but scatter their belongings in every direction. Also used to describe tornadoes and other forces of nature.
Ex. When Gina found her daughter's backpack in the garden, her jacket in the bathroom, and her schoolbooks strewn under and on the dining room table, she shook her head and thought: she's struthious all right, just like her dad!
feeling nervous before going on stage.
I have to compliment Pastor Phil on being along the correct lines. However, his creatures are far too small. Struthious means "pertaining to an ostrich". As we all know, ostriches have the habit of burying their heads in the sand at the onset of danger. So this is the everyday meaning of the struthious - ignoring problems, hoping hoping that they will go away.
Goodness, I am gone for a few days and miss out on all the fun.
Struthious is an adjective, it describes college kids who like to "strut their stuff" while in the library, grabbing books with impressive titles and walking around, looking all intellectual in order to impress potential dates.
Struthious is a term used in the building trades to refer to a floor, wall, ceiling, etc., being straight and true and not misaligned or at a slant.
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
Raelha, what could possibly added to your fine definition other than the historical note that the term came about as a contraction of the old saying, "God's Truth."
Regarding Pergunnah, I wish to take this opportunity to thank all of the citizens of the Word Impire for your support.
Struthious is an adjective that is applied to animals for behavior which in humans is described as studious.
For example, whereas a boy may be studious, his horse is struthious. But his dog is not applying herself.
Streuth! 'Thinks' nicked my definition, so now I'll have to come up with another.
A struthious person is one who seems compelled to tell the truth to their own detriment.
'Upon arresting the driver for speeding, PC Saddleback was astonished by her crass struthiousness, when unprompted, the woman cheerfully pointed out that she also had two bald tyres and a broken headlight.'
Struthious:
An architectural term for Hideous Houses.
raelha: for some reason I really like your definition but I can't put my finger on why...
Did I ever tell you guys that my great-grandpa coined the term "Struthious" in 1925 after visiting The Winchester House?
"True" story.
I am not sure if i understand what is going on...new to this forum..i found the dictionary meaning of this word as "something related to ostrich" and found a sentence ""The law is not so struthious as to compel a judge … to divorce himself or herself from common sense or to ignore what is perfectly obvious." " which I could barely understand w.r.t the meaning given..can someone help!!
Post a Comment