Monday, July 30, 2007
Gimcrack
A gimcrack is a useless ornament. And, might I add, one that increases its uselessness by gathering unsightly dust. Nevertheless, several gimcracks seem to gather dust on our shelves. This word certainly sparked the imaginations of a wide range of word imps today. Of course, that made the choosing that much harder. Voting on the poll was tight but I was pleased that Gypsy Queen came out on top because her meaning was a great one. Congratulations, Gypsy Queen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

28 comments:
Gimcrack is the name J.K. Rowling originally gave to Dumbledore when she was writing the draft of the first Harry Potter book. She decided that Gimcrack sounded a bit trashy so after a lot of deep thought, came up with Dumbledore.
It's the pulling of a muscle you never knew existed up until that moment, usually following a spontaneous workout or previously untried activity.
an imperfection in a gimmick is called a gimcrack
Gimcrack is street terminology for the illegal drugs used by unscrupulous sports professionals.
When your Gross Income Multiplier (GIM) is lower than your Gross Income Divider (GID) you have a GIMcrack.
Oh, and thank you so much for yesterday's nomination and votes. It truly is great to be back!
A gimcrack is an electrical phenomenon akin to St Elmo's fire, sometimes encountered at sea. When the electrical glow sparks between two objects (for example two masts, or a mast and a funnel) the result is known to sailors as a gimcrack.
Word Imp, my vote for this word will go to you, That was a great definition for gimcrack. So here's my attempt at second:
gimcrack - the official name for the phenomenon which occurs when the plumber bends over to work under the sink.
Harold crooned softly that the full moon looked like a big gimcrack in the sky. Mary thought to herself that mom might have had a point, 'perhaps I did marry beneath my status.''
A gimcrack is a dud, as in a firecracker that didn't, well, crack.
Her brother lit the firecracker, but it didn't blow up. He said that he was going to leave the gimcrack alone for a few minutes. He didn't want to take the chance that it could suddenly burst if he went near it again.
A gimcrack is used to make larger diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires, etc. into smaller ones.
Gimcrack:
A medical term for children under the age of 7 who shout out “gimee! gimee! gimee!” (give me) every 5 minutes in order to get their way.
Scientists have discovered a brain cell that produces this addictive behavior stating it is not due to parents spoiling them.
They have also discovered that on their 8th birthday (at the stroke of midnight), the brain cell dissolves and they're back to be being the sweet children we once knew.
Gimcrack refers to the stuff that accumulates down the side of sofas and other furniture. This includes bits of peanuts, crisps, and apparently money. Every so often estimates are published about millions of pounds/dollars being amongst the gimcrack, but despite my best efforts I've not managed to find it...
Gimcrack - keep fit fanatics often reveal the 'gimcrack' when going hell-for-leather on the exercise bike.
When those observing this phenomenon make humourous remarks regarding such a sight, this is known as 'gimcrack corn'.
(Sorry, I think this definition may be wordimp corn!)
Oh,and Pastor Phil, how do you get your italics? I'm very envious!
I agree with Pastor Phil's definition. I'm glad he had the courage and creativity to come up with that one, cause I sure didn't! Thanks for a good laugh, Pastor Phil. And thanks for this site, Word Imp. What a great concept! :)
gimcrack-n. the line on a woman's chin that distinguishes where her make-up ends and her real skin color begins
Gimcracks were more noticable in the late 80s and early 90s when "pancake make-up" was popular.
gypsy queen:
LMAO! It's still in evidence in my office!
A gimcrack is what you feel in your head the morning after too many gimlets.
Italics are created by using the html tag i, and ending with /i both between these <> symbols. The i between the greater than/less than symbols begins before your italicized section. The /i comes at the close of your italicized section.
does that makke sense?
This is an italics test.
Hey, it works!
Aw, geeze, Pastor Phil & thinks!, what can I say besides great minds work alike...
A gimcrack is a special belt worn by appliance repair men. It contains all the tools and gadgets of their trade and is thus quite heavy, producing what is euphemistically called "TV repairman's butt" when the repairman hunkers over to do his job.
adj. offensive oaf
"If Barnsley wasn't such a gimcrack, we might want to stay for tea. But as it is Dear, we must away."
- Edmund Wells, David Coperfield
Great being on the poll even if I don't win!!!!! Thanks ;)
Well, hope I can make up something as good:
Gimcrack: sort of terminal patient who suffers from very bad jimjams. Sonuds tough to live with!
Meant SOUNDS tough. By the way: Lorenzothellama, you've got my vote for your meaning!
Gimcracks are the fault lines along which the ancient supercontinent Pangaea split apart. They are named after Sir Roger Gimcrack, who did pioneering work in this area.
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
Gimcrack - is similar in meaning to Deeblewarp but dissimilar enough to almost constitute a Winklefink, as in the phrase "Somewhere between the Deeblewarp and the Winklefink lay the Gimcrack in all its opulent splendour".
I'm now going for a lie down.
Jas.
theitmanagersjournal.blogspot.com
It's a little ironic that I am in the running for gimcrack because last night I was reading "Bagombo Snuff Box" by Kurt Vonnegut and I read a sentence with the word in it! I would have never noticed it without this site. Thanks Word Imp!
It is the very center of the universe. Where it all bagan. The gimcrack cannot be found because the universe is always in constant motion on its axis...
Post a Comment