Have fun with a new word each day. I'll choose a word. You make up a meaning.
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Darg
A darg is a day's work. The meanings on the blog showed a good variety of inventiveness and the winner on the day was Sonnjea B. Congratulations and welcome back, Sonnjea.
A darg is a harmless practical joke, like those pranks and made-up stories told on April Fool's day.
"Wow! I just talked to Steve - he told me he was selected at random to test-drive the government's new flying car!" "Uh, the government hasn't made a flying car. I think you've been the victim of a darg." "Doh!! That was a good one..."
A darg is a bagpipe custom made to match the tartan of the piper's kilt. Of course, since the bag is made of wool instead of animal skin, the sound is pretty lousy, but hey - fashion's important too!
A Darg was a Medieval instrument of torture. It was clamped on to the edges of the nostrils and then used to stretch the nostrils outwards until the receiver of the torture gave up whatever information was required. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
1. I choose an obscure dictionary word.
2. You invent a wacky meaning and add it as a comment.
3. After a certain time I list the true meaning and choose a winner for the invented meaning.
There are no prizes, just lots of fun!
Remember, children use this site too.
I am a children's author who has had a handful of books published by trade publishers. They're in book shops and libraries. I've also had a sackful of books published by educational publishers. These are mainly found in schools. I love words and that's why I invented this blog site.
8 comments:
A darg is a harmless practical joke, like those pranks and made-up stories told on April Fool's day.
"Wow! I just talked to Steve - he told me he was selected at random to test-drive the government's new flying car!"
"Uh, the government hasn't made a flying car. I think you've been the victim of a darg."
"Doh!! That was a good one..."
Darg is a green manure that needs to be grown in the flower beds and then dug in to feed the soil in the spring.
This is an easy one. Can't believe y'all missed it. Darg is how them good 'ol Southern mountian boys pronounce "dog".
"Lookit that dumb 'ol darg there, tryin' ta chaw the tars right offin' ma truk"!
When a woman goes out dressed as a man, it is said she's in "darg."
Most darg kings don't crave attention, but they do look good in Armani.
A darg is a bagpipe custom made to match the tartan of the piper's kilt. Of course, since the bag is made of wool instead of animal skin, the sound is pretty lousy, but hey - fashion's important too!
A Darg was a Medieval instrument of torture. It was clamped on to the edges of the nostrils and then used to stretch the nostrils outwards until the receiver of the torture gave up whatever information was required. Brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
A darg is a faithful follower of Darth Vader.
Darg is short for "Damn what a drag !" It has to be said in a short explosive manner viz.
"Darg ! I thought I had my credit cards in my wallet - now what do I pay the restaurant bill with ?"
Of course it goes without saying that he has to say "Darg!" a few more times very explosively when he has to wash the dishes in lieu of payment .
Post a Comment