Friday, December 08, 2006

Dragonnade

Dragonnades were persecutions of Protestants under Louis XIV. Not sure how gruesome they were, but I decided not to go into too much detail. Thanks for an interesting selection of meanings for this word today. The voters decided Sonnjea B was the favourite today. Well done again Sonnjea.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dragonnade is what the dragons used to drink to re-energize themselves and replace their electrolytes so they could breathe fire again. This is what the modern-day replacement drink Powerade is based on.
Just missed out on doing a comment for previous word by about 10 seconds. Never mind! At least I will be first on this one.

Unknown said...

Dragonnade is a medieval dance form depicting the myth of St George slaying the dragon. It was performed at court on St George's day, with the highest lady of the court playing the maiden that St George was rescuing.

Sonnjea said...

It's a sneaky trap set by dragons to lure poor, unsuspecting knights to their lair, where the knight is sure to meet his doom.

"Whatever happened to Lancelot?"
"Didn't you hear? He got caught in a dragonnade and perished."

Heather said...

Dragonnade is a corruption of the words, "dragging aid," which is any small child that clings to your leg to get what it wants. The child acts as an anchor allowing one to drag his or her feet more effectively.

"I'm sorry I was late to meet you and your mother for tea - young Gilly was being such a dragonnade!"

Heather said...

Oh, PS - I was reading a novel yesterday and came across the word "panoply" in a sentence! If not for this blog, I'd never have known what it meant. Keep up the good work!

~Amalia~

Anonymous said...

Dragonnade is a game like quidditch but you ride on dragons instead of broomsticks. You have to be careful that the dragon doesn't swallow the snitch!

Anonymous said...

It's the name of a committee that helps sick or hurt dragons.

D Naruka said...

Dragonnade is a common type of lemonade sold at the price of 5drongzakeuss per glass, by baby dragons. It is particularly popular in the summer months.

Rhonda Sloan said...

Jude totally stole my definition. :)

Draggonade is a benefit held to assist in the plight of homeless or mentally ill dragons.

P.S. It's not you WordImp, it's me. Thanks for stopping by today...and sorry I have been absent. I took a French Literature class "for fun" and finishing it up has been a real killer.

Shari said...

We are all thinking alike today. Hmm.

A dragonnade is a special grenade used to slay dragons with. It has a special gas in it. It would be thrown in the air towards the dragon. If the fire-breathing dragon would try to burn it up before it would hit him, it would explode. Not many dragons survive from the explosion.

Unknown said...

Its dragonflower juice ..drinking it makes you strong enough to breathe hellfire on to anyone who makes life miserable for you ..