Have fun with a new word each day. I'll choose a word. You make up a meaning.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Cantrip
A cantrip is a playful trick. Simple really. Thanks for the batch of intriguing meanings suggested for cantrip. I enjoyed them all. Congratulations to Thinks! who wowed the crowd.
From Hamlet- Ghost: I am thy father's spirit; Doom'd for a certain term to walk the night, and for the day confined in cantrip..... Methinks this is a Shakespearian reference meaning ' can't Rest In Peace'.
A cantrip is the type of burglar alarm where you put a bag full of cans in front of the door and when the robber opens it the cans spill onto the floor, make a lot of noise, and trip him. :)
Cantrip is the theoretical prehistoric original tuber, which cavemen dug up and ate, and sometimes it looked like a person, and they'd make little sculptures of them. From cantrips, potatoes, turnips, carrots, radishes and jicama all evolved. Someday the paleonutritionologists will know for sure.
1. I choose an obscure dictionary word.
2. You invent a wacky meaning and add it as a comment.
3. After a certain time I list the true meaning and choose a winner for the invented meaning.
There are no prizes, just lots of fun!
Remember, children use this site too.
I am a children's author who has had a handful of books published by trade publishers. They're in book shops and libraries. I've also had a sackful of books published by educational publishers. These are mainly found in schools. I love words and that's why I invented this blog site.
10 comments:
Cantrip is any surface which is loose, uneven, projecting, or cluttered, upon which one "can trip".
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
A cantrip is a cross between a canter and a trip, it is done by a horse when they trip up as they are cantering.
From Hamlet-
Ghost: I am thy father's spirit; Doom'd for a certain term to walk the night, and for the day confined in cantrip.....
Methinks this is a Shakespearian reference meaning ' can't Rest In Peace'.
A cantrip is the type of burglar alarm where you put a bag full of cans in front of the door and when the robber opens it the cans spill onto the floor, make a lot of noise, and trip him. :)
I cantrip is a kind of Gregorian chant only sung by nuns.
It's the vertigo happens to a cat after too much catnip.
It's a little-known denomination of Buddhism, in which enlightenment is achieved through ever more complex stilt-walking manoeuvres.
Cantrip is the theoretical prehistoric original tuber, which cavemen dug up and ate, and sometimes it looked like a person, and they'd make little sculptures of them. From cantrips, potatoes, turnips, carrots, radishes and jicama all evolved. Someday the paleonutritionologists will know for sure.
Indecisiveness and the inability or refusal to make a decision.
Drives me nuts!!!!
Thinks!, what a bard imp you are... my hero.
Post a Comment