Monday, October 01, 2007

Peduncle

Peduncle is, strangely enough, a botanical term. It's the name for the main stalk of a plant. Perhaps I learned that many moons ago but didn't have a reason to remember it. I've got a feeling that I'll forget it again - but never mind. Thanks for your fabulous meanings for peduncle today. I enjoyed them immensely. Voters chose Thesaurus Rex as the winner on the poll. Well done, TR.

23 comments:

Thinks! said...

Experts in the art of dipping their jammy dodgers (cookies) in their tea, known in the UK as dunking, rarely get a peduncle. A peduncle is the portion of biscuit that gets too soggy and slops into the tea just as the biscuit is lifted from the cup.
The wretched peduncle sinks to the bottom of your tea and when finally rediscovered, has formed a nasty brown, unappetising paste

Thinks! said...

. Sorry, period.

silver_flight said...

It's an umbrella term for any foot injury or disease that is accompanied by an unpleasant smell.

Suzanne G. said...

Peduncle v Dipping one's toes or feet into a substance, usually water. For years a scene direction in costume movie screenplays, "peduncle" has recently crossed over into politics.

"Larry Craig was arrested for a solicitous peduncle in a Minnesota mens' room stall." -Reuters

Pastor Phil said...

peduncle (n) - an uncle who is younger than his nieces and nephews.

sheilabythebeach said...

A peduncle is a persons mothers brother who tickles your feet until you cry.

Anonymous said...

Peduncle is the practice of bathing (dunking) one's sore or tired feet in salt water in order to soothe them.

Unknown said...

Carbuncles in children maybe ? Pediatric carbuncles - ped uncle !

Edith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Peduncle - The wafting sound that emanates through the chanters of the Great Highland bagpipes of Scotland.
“From a distant hillside I could hear the peduncle as the pipers ascended the knoll west of Edinborough Castle.”

Anonymous said...

"to go peduncle" is to become insufferably pedantic about something.

I said "Me and my friend went to the cinema" and he went all peduncle on me!

Anonymous said...

(Sorry, I'm an idiot today. Only the second part was meant to be in italics.)

Brian o vretanos said...

a peduncle is the general name for what one might think of as "educational" or "mnemonic" jewellery. The classic example of this is a rosary bead, but the principle can be extended to anything else you might like to learn by rote.

Anonymous said...

Peduncle describes a relative that you're not actually related to anymore because of death and/or divorce, but you still have a good relationship with. We had a lovely visit with such a relative last night and this morning. My aunt's ex-husband. Quite an orrery, but a wonderful, generous man.

Stephen said...

A peduncle is a Practical Experimental Derivative Uncorrelated Nonmalignant Corrective Laparoscopic Excision, which is something no one should have to have done.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/

Thesaurus Rex said...

An onomatopoeic word which describes a game played by lonely boys of medium age. The game is played by continually batting a ping-pong ball up against a wall and hitting it back after the first bounce, which makes the noise, 'peduncle, peduncle, peduncle!' (Drives parents and neighbours insane.)

Thesaurus Rex said...

An onomatopoeic word which describes a game played by lonely boys of medium age. The game is played by continually batting a ping-pong ball up against a wall and hitting it back after the first bounce, which makes the noise, 'peduncle, peduncle, peduncle!' (Drives parents and neighbours insane.)

Bee said...

Peduncle:

Nearing the finish of an unpleasant task.

I hadn’t realized when I started cleaning out the garage I would encounter so many big hairy spiders, luckily I’m at the peduncle.

phil said...

A peduncle or 'pedestrian uncle'is the lazy uncle. At times, I've been referred to as the archetypal peduncle.

Classic peduncles will often combine birthday and christmas presents together (if they remember at all), giving what is known as a peduncie.

'Oh Uncle Phil, thankyou for my peduncie! (sigh!)'

Anonymous said...

A peduncle is putting your foot in it (metaphorically speaking).

I overheard a classic example of a peduncle today... a slightly overweight young lady was asked by a colleague when the baby was due only to be told in rather acid tones by said young lady that she was not pregnant.

phil said...

Flamingo - I too have been witness to such a peduncle. It's amazing how many nasty pedunclers are out there!

Unknown said...

Peduncle (adj.) is used to describe a common or everyday object that has grown to hideous proportions and assumed grotesque charaterisitcs.

Example: She would have been considered a great beauty if it were not for her peduncle nose.

lorenzothellama said...

Raelha is nearly right.

It is actually a gross and ugly extenstion, usually referring to modern architecture, not noses!
LtL.