Have fun with a new word each day. I'll choose a word. You make up a meaning.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Platinize
To platinize something is to coat it with platinum. Obvious really. However, I do prefer the option of Coolskoolmom's type of platinizing - as did the voters on the poll. Well done, Coolskoolmom. And send your platinizer this way soon!
Platinize is an amalgamation of two words, patronise and platitude. It is therefore the act of condescending treatment using the most cliched of expressions.
Platinize: To translate into "Pig" Latin. This was common in the days when it had some snob value among the governing classes. Of course, no one really knew what anyone was saying, which led to the odd war now and again.
Platinize is a technical term used by metal workers. It means to coat a wire with precious metal so that jewellers can then do their worst with it and make it into expensive baubles for rich people without taste!
To platinize is to make a concerted effort to send an artist's debut single to the top of the charts -- and with the ultimate goal of selling 1 million copies.
Since the advent of American and Pop Idol and the creation of artist "street teams," it has become much less difficult to platinize acts.
To platinize means to plagiarise another person's work in a crass and entirely amateurish way, leaving readers, especially secondary school teachers in no doubt that cheating has taken place.
*Overheard in staffroom: "I hear young Simmons has been trying to pass off 'Ramona and Julian' as his own play?"
1. I choose an obscure dictionary word.
2. You invent a wacky meaning and add it as a comment.
3. After a certain time I list the true meaning and choose a winner for the invented meaning.
There are no prizes, just lots of fun!
Remember, children use this site too.
I am a children's author who has had a handful of books published by trade publishers. They're in book shops and libraries. I've also had a sackful of books published by educational publishers. These are mainly found in schools. I love words and that's why I invented this blog site.
13 comments:
Sorry I missed yesterday - huggery had lots of scope.
I reckon to platinize must be what happens in Tom & Jerry cartoons when Tom gets smacked in the face by a large round plate, i.e. platinized
platinize - to make friends with a rare metallic mammal who lay eggs in hopes of serving up breakfast to a philosopher.
the platonic pursuit
provided a plate
of platinum platypus eggs
pleasing Plato's fine palate today
Quite simply - to go blonde!
Platinize:
(pronounced platin-easy)
A Banana martini served in the banana peel.
Platinize is an amalgamation of two words, patronise and platitude. It is therefore the act of condescending treatment using the most cliched of expressions.
Platinize: To translate into "Pig" Latin. This was common in the days when it had some snob value among the governing classes. Of course, no one really knew what anyone was saying, which led to the odd war now and again.
"I said genitor suo..."
parva educatio periculum est.
Platinize is a technical term used by metal workers. It means to coat a wire with precious metal so that jewellers can then do their worst with it and make it into expensive baubles for rich people without taste!
To platinize is to make a concerted effort to send an artist's debut single to the top of the charts -- and with the ultimate goal of selling 1 million copies.
Since the advent of American and Pop Idol and the creation of artist "street teams," it has become much less difficult to platinize acts.
To platinize means to plagiarise another person's work in a crass and entirely amateurish way, leaving readers, especially secondary school teachers in no doubt that cheating has taken place.
*Overheard in staffroom: "I hear young Simmons has been trying to pass off 'Ramona and Julian' as his own play?"
"Unbelievable isn't it? platinizing little oik!"*
To Platinize is to emulate the famous world cup-winning French footballer, Michell Platini.
Platinize means to flatten..
“Old Walter Gabriel, fed up with the mole hills ruining his lawn, stole a steamroller and platinized the lot in one fell swoop.”
to platinize is to come to one person's house and completely overhaul, by cleaning, organizing and moving furniture.
"Sure Annie, I would be happy to platinize your home"
To platinize is to divide a large parcel of land into smaller sections, called plats or plots.
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment