Have fun with a new word each day. I'll choose a word. You make up a meaning.
Monday, May 21, 2007
Grackle
A grackle is actually a bird - apparently like the jackdaw. I loved today's blog meanings so much that I couldn't decide between them. However, the voters did. They chose Sara's meaning. Well done, Sara!
It's a parasitic insect that mimics an elderly relative. If you have a difficult older person living with you and you can't quite explain how they are related to you, you probably have a grackle infestation.
Grackle - a rumble at the back of the throat somewhere between a growl and a cackle. A common sound in the witch repertoire although gaining popularity amongst sleep deprived mothers.
When you get a sudden overwhelming urge to laugh at an inopportune moment. Inside you're hysterical but outside you are just about managing to keep a straight face. The 'grackle' is the slight twitch at the corner of your mouth that gives you away.
I felt a grackle coming on the other day when the man across the road told me he only had sky TV for the 'nature programmes' and 'documentaries'. I have no reason to doubt that this is true, but it struck me as hilarious at the time. Luckily, I managed to contain myself.
1. I choose an obscure dictionary word.
2. You invent a wacky meaning and add it as a comment.
3. After a certain time I list the true meaning and choose a winner for the invented meaning.
There are no prizes, just lots of fun!
Remember, children use this site too.
I am a children's author who has had a handful of books published by trade publishers. They're in book shops and libraries. I've also had a sackful of books published by educational publishers. These are mainly found in schools. I love words and that's why I invented this blog site.
8 comments:
It's a parasitic insect that mimics an elderly relative. If you have a difficult older person living with you and you can't quite explain how they are related to you, you probably have a grackle infestation.
A grackle is a gurgly sound a baby dragon makes . Because of the smoke and fire it morphs into a "grackle", being a fusion of gurgle and crackle
A grackle is an annoying sound a hearing aid makes when it whistles or when a microphone has too much feedback.
grackle is the sound Rice Bubbles make when they're stale e.g snip, grackle and pip instead of snap, crackle and pop.
grackle are the pains ya get as you get older-I am an expert on this as my grackle is working overtime today!
Grackle - a rumble at the back of the throat somewhere between a growl and a cackle. A common sound in the witch repertoire although gaining popularity amongst sleep deprived mothers.
When you get a sudden overwhelming urge to laugh at an inopportune moment. Inside you're hysterical but outside you are just about managing to keep a straight face. The 'grackle' is the slight twitch at the corner of your mouth that gives you away.
I felt a grackle coming on the other day when the man across the road told me he only had sky TV for the 'nature programmes' and 'documentaries'. I have no reason to doubt that this is true, but it struck me as hilarious at the time. Luckily, I managed to contain myself.
It is the front footpad of a male camel. this pad is normally larger and more dense in order to assist travel in the desert.
Post a Comment