Thursday, October 07, 2010

Jugulate

To jugulate is actually to arrest the course of a disease with a powerful remedy. I can't believe I've come this far in life and never heard of that word. Perhaps if I'd studied medicine I may have come across it. However, better late than never.

I chose LivelyClamor as today's winner. Great work! The winning meaning goes like this:

Jugulate: A gang initiation whereby all politicians are encouraged to prove themselves by creating as many attack ads ("go for the jugular") as possible with as little creativity as possible. The cumulative effect on the listener/viewer should be a feeling of strangulation. In addition, jugulate means a way for politicians to juggle conflicting promises without getting caught.

6 comments:

Mummy Addled said...

Thanks WordImp! I'm pleased you liked my definition :)

Jugulate could mean, to impair someone's breathing by grabbing or bashing thier throat... OW!

Clare said...

It describes the motion of a busy mother (usually) keeping her household running smoothly.

louisa said...

After firing their last waddy of spitballs at Mr Samuels in maths, the Year 10 class moved onto Geography with Mr Williamson, who taught them about jugulate - the compact clay-y soil found in many of the Amazon's tributary streams.

The jugulate silts up slower moving sections of the waterways and over time, changes their paths. A number of oxbow lakes have been formed in northern Peru as a result of the process, which is known as jugulatification. Several species of plants are only found in the jugulate-rich soil left behind after a waterway has moved, including a bush which produces a bulbous orange berry pressed to make "zumo de jugul" - a rich, somewhat paste-y fruit juice. Mr Williamson made the mistake of telling the Year 10's that this translates into English as "juggle juice" and the lesson degenerated into a showcase for increasingly smutty remarks.

Molly Malone said...

Jugulate. v. to reach around a woman's chest, grab her breasts and shake vigorously; usually to the enormous annoyance of the woman.

"Sara was having a grate time dancing at the club until some sotting wanker decided to jugulate her during her favorite song. She was so livid that she blindly slugged him, knocking the wanker on his rear. She began to feel a little guilt when she realized he couldn't have been more than 15 years old. Then she decided, 'Screw it. Little shit needs to learn.'"

LivelyClamor said...

How can I top those!!!

Jugulate: A gang initiation whereby all politicians are encouraged to prove themselves by creating as many attack ads ("go for the jugular") as possible with as little creativity as possible. The cumulative effect on the listener/viewer should be a feeling of strangulation. In addition, jugulate means a way for politicians to juggle conflicting promises without getting caught.

(Can you tell it's election season over here???)

LivelyClamor said...

Thank you for the vote of confidence :-) I actually really enjoyed all the other ones. I was rolling on the floor laughing, at least figuratively, at them all!
Onward and upward.