Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bowyang

I found bowyang in my Heinemann New Zealand Dictionary and I suspect it must be a very Kiwi word because I haven't found it anywhere else, including Dictionary.com. It means the ties used below the knees to keep trousers from dragging on the ground. Apparently they're used by sheep shearers, but I can think of a few teenagers I see around town who could definitely do with a bowyang or two. The competition is certainly heating up, with new people visiting the blog today and contributing creatively. Thanks for your interest. I really appreciate it. It was hard choosing a winner, so I chose two. Even that was difficult. Well done to everyone, especially Sonnjea B's idea about the bow tie going askew and Molly Malone's detailed description of a bowyang as a dull person who can't keep up with colourful conversation full of hyperbole and local metaphor. I loved the Antiques Roadshow one as well.

15 comments:

Greta said...

I think a bowyang is the sound a bowstring makes when you let an arrow fly.

Anonymous said...

A greeting you say to Chinese people that forget to bow when they meet you.

Clare said...

It's an exclamation of surprise, used by glam rockers, as in 'Bowyang, that's an angry crowd out there. Do you think security can hold them back until I've finished putting on my eyeliner?'

Anonymous said...

A bowyang is a very ancient, rare and valuable chinese musical instrument. It is very difficult to play and there are only a very few known to still be in existence. There was a very exciting moment on Antiques Roadshow last year when one was brought in to the show being fimed in Torquay. The owner fainted when told it was worth at least 150 000 pounds.

Sonnjea said...

It's what happens when your bow tie goes askew. "George Clooney's tux was great, but the bowyang ruined the look."

Anonymous said...

I used to go to school with him.

Sonnjea said...

By the way, I love this idea for a blog; may I link here?

Shari said...

It's a cousin of the grasshopper. It makes springy noises like Tigger when it jumps.

Shari said...

By the way, I like this blog, too.

Molly Malone said...

"Bowyang"
N. (Southern American slang). - a young man (occasionally woman) who is a little on the dull side; not so much because he lacks common sense, but because he cannot carry his weight in a colorful conversation marked by hyperbole and local metaphor.
Adj. characteristics of a bowyang.

derivation - "Boy, you ain't got nothin' to add, here!" This refrain cast upon greenhorns to stoop discourse in early 1900s Louisiana was quickly contracted into "bowyang," first merely an admonition and later both a noun and an adjective.

Dr. Phil and Dan Rather are NOT bowyangs. However, NPR anchor Robert Siegel could be criticized for his bowyang delivery of the news. (ie, flat, un-embellished with local metaphor)

Anonymous said...

It's a town in eastern China known for its traditional music.

Anonymous said...

A Bowyang is another name for the Chinese Crested Dog.

Sonnjea said...

Word Imp: Thanks for the writing encouragement, and for the link. Don't worry, I know of no blogger etiquette!

Sometimes the kitchen is very appetizing; other times it's just a horrible, scary place! But we try, and we have fun.

(And Koji is definitely NOT shy, he was just hamming it up for the camera.)

Anonymous said...

It is the noise a whale makes while breathing on the surface

Anonymous said...

A bowyang is an ancient instrument of torture. It originated in China. I wish I had a bowyang. It would be interesting to try it out on my un-dog-friendly neighbours. How could anyone not love and appreciate my 2 beautiful creatures?