Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Cognomen

A cognomen is another word for nickname. My dictionary also says it's another word for surname. I prefer the nickname version. Thanks for your innovative meanings. I loved them all and I enjoyed this creative and very academic sounding meaning from Vfmac, today's winner:

The cognomen was an old position among young scribes. One so honored was tasked with holding up an open book for an elder, acting as a human podium in essence.

7 comments:

LivelyClamor said...

Cognomen is when the mind links totally unrelated concepts into an invention so wonderfully silly it gets laughed at all over the internet. Then the inventor makes a ton of money and laughs right back.

Hey Jude said...

Cognomen is the technical term for an exerciese wheel for mice & rats in a laboratory.

Tony Chestnut said...

Cognomen is the definition for when something is on the 'tip of your tongue' but your brain just can't quite come up with right word.

Dog Mum said...

Cognomen describes certain bad manners displayed by males. An example of cognomen is this: it is a quiet & peaceful Sunday morning. You are sitting in bed, enjoying a cup of tea and Word Imperfect. Then the male neighbour 2 doors up decides to start up his power tools.

Unknown said...

The cognomen was an old position among young scribes. One so honored was tasked with holding up an open book for an elder, acting as a human podium in essence.

Greedy Biscuit Baron said...

Cognomen is the term used by Dyslexics to refer to people that live in the Congo.

Greedy Biscuit Baron said...

It is the word that describes the sensation when your brain has one of those moments where it just knows what is about to happen.... usually inspired by you thinking "any minute now......"

I think the word is derived from Cognitive-omen. but I could be wrong.