Friday, May 09, 2008

Nepenthe

After what has been too long to admit, I am finally able to reveal the true meanings of nepenthe to those of you who haven't already looked in the dictionary. Funnily enough, nepenthe is a drug which allows you to forget your grief. I shall now sprinkle all my trusty word imps with a healthy dose of nepenthe so they will rush back to this blog with no feelings of sadness over our temporary parting. Things are sooo back to normal that I am also happy to report that we have finally voted for a winner for this intriguing word. Thanks to Greedy Biscuit Baron for a fabulous meaning - I fully agree with the voting public.

27 comments:

Sandra Dodd said...

Nepenthe means absolutely unrepentant. Sociopaths live in a state of nepenthe.

Thinks! said...

Nepenthe is an elizabethan term the modern equivalent of which is to go commando style meaning without ones underwear.

"He who runneth abroad with nepenthe on, doth pay little respect to common decency, my liege!"

tgw44.blogspot.com

Judi Hahn said...

Nepenthe is actually a Swahili word meaning "baby giraffe. The penthe being the adult giraffe. The prefix "ne" being "baby." Nepenthe - baby giraffe.

Anonymous said...

Nepenthe: A substance used to remove old paint and shellac from wooden objects.

Tuppence MacPhail stripped the finish off the pub tables using the bottle of Nepenthe that he bought at the hardware store.

"I've got to get it done before fish and chips on Friday," he explained to his girlfriend, Pegeen. "I'll reward your patience with a recommendation for a position as a trustee of my brother's college."

Anonymous said...

Nepenthe is a little-known Greek Goddess, responsible for undoing mistakes. Unfortunately, she was a real ditz and couldn't remember the mistakes long enought to undo them properly so they usually just got modified, usually in a bizarre or comical way. She was kind of like that kooky aunt on the old TV series Bewitched. Eventually, people just chose to live with their booboos because they never knew how Nepenthe would make them even worse.

Anonymous said...

Nepenthe is a word meaning, to be cow like in apearance. It comes from the ancient latin word Nepenthealosis which means simply cow or horse. Ex: Our librarian is very nepenthe and mean.

Scriptor Senex said...

Nepenthe is the state of having a pocket (or purse) full to bursting with change but never having the correct coin for the parking meter or slot machine.

Stephen said...

Nepenthe originally meant a herd of nephews, but eventually came to mean any group of relatives seeking or getting unearned employment, free rooming, or other unearned benefits or status.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

The nepthene is a tiny, tiny, tiny little skinny person like animal ( they look alot like super short, super skinny goblins ). Nepthenes are only found in the jungles up in the palm trees in Fiji. Many people don't believe in them, like faries, they die when pepople don't believe. Which is probably why they are going extinct.Well, you better believe in them or I'll ... I'll...I gues Ican't do any thing can I?

Greedy Biscuit Baron said...

Nepenthe is quite an old fashioned term for a sealed gourd with seeds and suchlike inside it which forms a basic rattle.

This was illustrated in the very early biblical texts where there were originally FOUR wise men.... Gaspar, Balthasar, Winston and Melchior.

Rumour has it that Winston, being incredibly learned, but not from a noble background brought a Nepenthe as a gift for the baby Jesus, but alas was ridiculed by the other wise men for the inexpensive nature of the gift and as such was never remembered in any of the historical texts.

Anonymous said...

Nepenthe is another word for nothing, and is usually associated with holidays and birthdays.
Judianne was somewhat sad when she realized she had received nepenthe on Mother's Day. She was pleasantly surprised, though, the day after when she received a lovely gift from her dear parents.

Sandra Dodd said...

NOT AN ENTRY, a note:

Someday I, too, may get so busy I fail to update my game, but for now it's hoppin' :

lyricsgame.blogspot.com (Something to do until this one is daily again.)

Word Imp, I hope you're not ill or wounded, just overwhelmed with fun and good things.

lorenzothellama said...

Nepenthe is a Fire Festival that takes place in Southern India every Autumn.

Anonymous said...

Nepenthe is a derogatory term that describes a person
who has a lapse in memory.

Joe acted like a "nepenthe" when he couldn't remember where he parked his car.

Sara said...

Nepenthe is a kind of invisible ink detectable only to very clever men such as Sherlock Holmes or James Bond.

Anonymous said...

What's going on? This same word has been up for over a week. Has something happened to Word Imp?

silver_flight said...

It's an alcoholic drink, one shot of which knocks you clean out for five minutes.

Anonymous said...

WHERE, OH WHERE CAN THE WORD IMP BE?
WHERE, OH WHERE CAN SHE BE?
IS SHE AWAY ON A TRIP
OR IS SHE DOWN IN BED SICK?
WE'RE MISSING HER
wHERE CAN SHE BE?

Anonymous said...

nepenthe is when you have lost your nice pen and you need it instead of the cheepy $.99 pens.
Jane needed to write some thank you notes but then all she could find were cheepy pens. She was in nepenthe.

Anonymous said...

Dear word imp,
Are you on vacation or something?

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous, fun blog! Great job, lady!

Keep up the great work!

Merriam said...

A nepenthe is someone who always licks the letters of of an M&M.

Judi Hahn said...

Nepenthe means that word imp is taking a 20-year nap.

Unknown said...

Nepenthe means a state of utter serene bliss which brings the person experiencig it very close to nirvana .
People experiencing nepenthe generally are in a floaty semi conscious state very very far removed from reality .

Shari said...

This word means the thoughts that go through your mind before major surgery. Deep thoughts. Scary thoughts about all the things that could go wrong.

The surgery was a week away, but she was in amepenthe already.

LivelyClamor said...

Nepenthe is the damp misty mournful art style which shows up in obsessive pictures of young ladies in flimsy garb draped over gravesites and urns surrounded by weeping willows.

I just found this blog -- I hope it is still active :)

Anonymous said...

Word imp says - sorry about my lack of posts for so long. I have been really busy with a book deadline and seem to have lost the drive to keep the blog going at the moment. I appreciate your comments and hopes that it will continue. Let me think about how I can do that and get back to you soon. Thankfully, I'm neither sick nor wounded! I'm honoured that your missing me and my words and just figuring out how to fit everything into my life! Love, Word Imp.