Friday, October 23, 2009
Stauroscope
A stauroscope is actually used for examining how polarised light affects crystals. Science lovers will get that. I'm still stuck on 'polarised'. Never mind. Our word imps had fun with complicated and inventive meanings for stauroscope and the voting public chose realityjunkie as today's winner. Well done again RJ!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
A stauroscope is a kind of hand held periscope designed for the vertically challenged to see what's on top of hard to reach cupboards. Ikea now sell plastic models in shades of fuschia and chartreuse.
Stauroscope is a special scope for finding the best deals and the cutest outfits in staurs (aka stores).
Paleontologists have unearthed early tools for dissecting bones preserved in tar at the turn of the last century. Called stauroscopes, the tools were similar to today's colonscopic instruments. Researchers believed that early paleontologists found specimens of dinosaur intestinal material.
A staurascope is used in the world of proctology, but not in the way one might think. It actually is an instrument used only to make proctologists laugh, and therefore make light of the crappy situations they often find themselves in.
Thank you Magdalene! As a vertically challenged person I am now desperate to purchase a staurascope. As we don't have Ikea stores here in NZ, I am going to have to try and find one on TradeMe (our equivalent to E-Bay). Failing that, I shall see if I can buy one online through Ikea. I'm not really a pink person, so will definitely have to go for chartreuse.
A staurascope is a glass-bottomed instrument for looking under water. You can use a glass to find a knife in the bottom of a soapy dishpan, or a glass panel in the bottom of a boat will let people see down into the water without the glare of the sun.
Post a Comment