A scrod is actually a fish, specifically a young cod or haddock. Some of today's invented meanings left me feeling a little squeamish, but I still enjoyed them all. The meaning invented by Maalie was a favourite with the voters. Congratulations, Maalie. Well deserved.
16 comments:
Scrod is the name of Nanny Ogg's cat in Terry Pratchet's Discworld series of books.
"Scrod's eyes glowed red as he inched forwards towards the baby unicorn"
Scrod:
Someone who is so scared they're stiff as a rod.
I love Word Imps idea of this being a swear word, I think I will use it as one from now on!
To run someone through with a sword.
To scrod is to place screws in rods in order to attach them to surfaces.
Something that is both unusual and frightening.
"We leaned against the huge old willow but were jolted from our reverie by a scrod sound that made us realize the trunk was hollow."
Now, I think a scrod is a small gathering of sticky something or other that you'd rather not come across. Such as, when you get down on all fours to look for a pencil which has rolled under a cupboard. The chances are when you extract your hand - yuuck! There's a scrod dingly dangling from your thumb!
You've heard of Jock Itch? Well, Scrod Itch is much, much worse. Enough said.
Oh, yes...thank you to anyone who voted for me or who has EVER voted for me...I'm bursting my buttons!
Yes I am...in spite of my definition of discobolus!
Scrod is a term of mild abuse and exasperation used by the irate mothers of grubby and possibly gifted children. It started out as " Scruffy little oddity!"
Scrod (n.) is the cheesy fungus that grows between your toes if you fail to bathe often enough.
Scrod - skin which is scraped from callouses and corns on the feet. A human being usually produces 5 pounds of scrod in his/her lifetime.
Living where I do, I'm incapable of a fake definition for scrod. :)
Obviously inspired by Word Imp's tale of woe:
Scrod (n.) A performance related "bounty" paid to officials for the rigid application of civil penalties, usually financial (e.g. parking fees).
"Sorry love, but what with the wife, ex wife and five kids, I've come to rely on the scrod..."
OK, maybe I'm not totally incapable.
A scrod is a dowel about 45 cm long, maybe 0.7cm diameter, with a mini-rake on the end. It's for scratching your back, or for scratching inside a cast on your leg, or wherever else you can't reach.
Scrod is what is left in a rubbish dump (or skip) when the scavengers have been through and taken what they think might be useful or worth something. When the bin men empty the bin cart at the tip, and the scavengers are waiting to pick over it, the contents can be reduced to scrod in a couple of minutes.
A scrod is a scored rod, a rod with marks along its length, used for measuring depths in water.
Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment