Monday, January 01, 2007

Luculent

Luculent actually means clear, concise and lucid. Funny, that. By the way, here's something weird... When I'm looking for the next word of the day for my blog, I have the strangest experience. I keep coming across words which look odd. My first reaction is, oh there's a good one. But then it turns out to be something that I already know the meaning of - like pontiff or foundling. So, for a few seconds, I think I've found a good word for the blog. Then I get a metaphorical slap when I realise it's actually not a very unusual word after all. I guess this blog game has me looking at words a little differently. Just thought I'd share that with you in case anyone found it interesting or had experienced something similar. I'm sorry if my explanation wasn't very luculent! Anyway, Sonnjea B was a runaway winner on the poll with her invented meaning. Congratulations Sonnjea. You've still got it.

10 comments:

Alijah Fitt said...

I am the first this year!
Luculent: noun, a period of forty weekdays,from Halloween to mid-November. One declines to commit at least one good deed they would normally have done that day in honor of Lucifer.Lent for Lucifer.

Sara said...

Luculent is somebody who is blessed by good fortune. Sara decided to buy a lottery ticket as she was feeling particularly luculent that day.

Shari said...

Luculent is an adjective describing the calmness of the air, the water, or even a person's feelings.

She sat at the edge of the pier, staring out at the lucelent water. There was barely a ripple in it and the reflection of the setting sun was just gorgeous. The calmness of the water settled the turbulent feelings she had and she became as lucelent as the water.

Anonymous said...

Lulucent is the word business insiders use to describe some of the crazy practices employed by the Lucent company.

"Get a load of the Lucent stock prices now that the board of directors has implemented their lulucent management techniques."

yours truly B said...

Luculent is another form of reminiscent. sally sat looking at the pictures luculent of times past with her friend

yours truly B said...

Luculent is another form of reminiscent. sally sat looking at the pictures luculent of times past with her friend

Greta said...

Luculent is an adjective describing those liquids that are semi-transparent (usually drinks such as lemonade and wassail). "The cider, steaming and luculent, looked inviting to the group of carolers who had just stepped in out of the cold."

Sonnjea said...

Luculent is the opposite of lucid - sort of spacy and incoherent.

"How was Grandma today?"
"They'd just given her some medication that made her a little luculent, so she thought I was Teddy Roosevelt."

Anonymous said...

Luck you lent to a friend and they never gave it back and now you are on the bones of your arse.

Unknown said...

Luculent is the opposite of truculent - a luculent person is talkative , cheerful and generally very amiable

However , I am rooting for Shari and SonnjeaB